[gmx-developers] OpenACC Development

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Fri Jul 1 11:37:40 CEST 2016

Hi Millad,

Welcome to the list.

GROMACS aims for close to optimal performance on all relevant hardware.
To achieve this, we write highly optimized non-bonded (and other)
kernels for all relevant architectures. Currently we have plain-C CPU
kernels (extremely slow), SIMD, CUDA and OpenCL non-bonded kernels. The
optimization is not so much in the arithmetics, but rather in the data
layout. OpenACC is not an architecture, but a programming standard. So
you would need to choose a target architecture for your OpenACC
"acceleration" and then choose one of our kernel types. But the only
gain of this would be semi-automated offloading. The question is then if
the offloading will be efficient enough.

Cheers,

Berk