[gmx-developers] OpenACC Development

Millad Ghane mghane at cs.uh.edu
Fri Jul 1 19:41:31 CEST 2016

>> On 01 Jul 2016, at 19:09, Millad Ghane <mghane at cs.uh.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Erik for your reply too.
>>
>> Just two quick things:
>>
>> 1- I wasn't planning to propose a universal model for every architecture
>> (CPU, GPU, Xeon PHI) by OpenACC. I was looking into replacing CUDA
>> kernels
>> with OpenACC ones. My goal was to replace mostly any CUDA codes with
>> OpenACC (or even make them co-exist with each other).
>>
>> 2- I have to report back to my supervisor. So, my question is to you
>> (she
>> might ask me) is that: did you tried to port the code to OpenACC and
>> then
>> found out that it is not a good fit? Or, you are saying it is not good
>> based on your experience?
>
> The whole point of OpenACC is that it’s a compromise: It’s less
> efficient than CUDA, but also much less work to implement.

Right. Exactly.

> This far, I have NEVER seen an OpenACC implementation beat a serious CUDA
> implementation (although the latter is of course *MUCH* more work).
> Historically there have been a couple of centers that had the idea it
> would be great with OpenACC instead… and then we never hear from them.

Exactly. Maybe they are focusing on the readability and portability of
their code.

>> BTW, I totally agree (and have experience) with the fact that writing
>> low-level code is so much profitable, productive, and close-to-optimal
>> compared to a writing a high-level code, but the code loses its
>> portability (the fact is that low-level codes are close to hardware than
>> high-level ones). That's why some of these compilers advertise that they
>> are produce close-to-architecture codes and they suggest that it is
>> better
>> to rely on us and write codes using high-level languages!
>
> Right. That’s why Intel Itanium and Xeon Phi have been such smashing
> successes, while almost no programs use CUDA - not :-)
>

> Before believing what the compiler vendors say, I would advise to test
> their claims. Today, the only compiler that implements OpenACC well is the
> commercial PGI.
> If you read our installation instructions, you’ll see that we have found
> the performance so horribly bad on CPU code that we actively recommend
> against it.

Yeah. I've seen it. Not only in README files, but also in CMake files.
Whenever I change the compiler to PGI using "ccmake", it gives me a
warning that PGI compiler is a performance killer :)

However, as you said, the only compiler supporting OpenACC is PGI. That's
the reason I am focusing on PGI for the kernel parts. BTW, PGI is saying
that they are actually transforming the OpenACC API/Pragmas into CUDA
code. So, practically, there shouldn't be much more performance loss on
GPU part.

Thanks for your time,
Millad