[gmx-developers] Compilation Errors When Using GROMACS Headers/Library

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:07:10 CEST 2016

Hi,

It is normal behaviour for installed headers intended for third-party
development to expect to have their path prepended by the preprocessor, e.g.

gcc -I/usr/local/gromacs/include yourfile.c
-L/usr/local/gromacs/lib/whatever -lgromacs

This means that the same header file can be used the same way when
compiling libgromacs, so one gets some sanity for free. Otherwise, we'd
also have to run some kind of script at "make install" time that copied the
files and edited them, similar to what you have done with sed. Also, you'll
have a harder time testing your code against multiple versions of GROMACS
if you've hard-coded the path to the include files, perhaps in many places,
directly in your code - the -I option is very much your friend.

Do also be aware that libxdrfile is a thing.

Mark