[gmx-developers] Use of invsqrt with tables

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Mar 23 14:00:51 CET 2016

On 2016-03-23 13:42, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 23/03/16 13:31, Berk Hess wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> But avoiding the inversion is not possible, since you need to multiply
>> the scaling force by the normalized distance vector.
> The force should be zero at r=0 for symmetry reasons and hence the
> code should not crash.
I know that. But that doesn't help in avoiding the division needed to
get the normalized distance vector. You can avoid the division by
exactly zero using a conditional. But you will still have issues for
distances very close to zero. A solution I use for forces between
excluded atoms in the non-bonded kernel, which can potentially overlap,
is to add a very small value epsilon to r^2, such that invsqrt produces
a large number that not close to max real. Multiplying this with r gives
a value close to zero that's slightly off from 1, but the error will be
less than real precision for potentials that are symmetric around 0.

Berk