[gmx-developers] Use of invsqrt with tables

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Mar 23 22:33:56 CET 2016

On 03/23/2016 04:25 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 23/03/16 14:42, Berk Hess wrote:

>>> The issue is the interaction between two Gaussian-smeared charges.
>>> Both the energy and the force go to zero smoothly. For distances close
>>> to zero we have to multiply the scalar force by the normalized
>>> distance vector. If we do the normalization first that should not give
>>> numerical problems, right?
>> You would still need to do the normalization conditional, which is not
>> good for performance. And you need to be very careful.
>> I prefer my solution: invr = sqrt(r^2 + 1e-38)
>>>
>>> A further alternative (tables only) would be to store F/r in the
>>> tables if that is well behaved (which it is for the Gaussian charges).
>> This would probably work, but you need to fill the table carefully.
>> However, you still need r for getting the table indices, so this doesn't
>> help much.
> But then one can use simply r = sqrt(r2)
You're right.
But then we need separate tables for the energy and force, since we
can't use the /r trick for the combined cubic or quadratic spline table.
I still prefer my solution of:
invr = sqrt(r^2 + GMX_REAL_MIN)
This does not modify the results for float r down to 1e-15, which should
be fine for all purposes. For smaller r it results in a invr of 1e-19,
which is much larger than GMX_FLOAT_MIN, so we can safely do arithmetic
with it.

Cheers,

Berk