[gmx-developers] Interfacing with gromacs to get potential energies/ forces

Augustin Chevallier augustin.chevallier at inria.fr
Fri Nov 18 11:43:47 CET 2016

Hello,

first, I apologize if this is not the right mailing list, however it seemed more appropriate than user mailing list.

I would like to get the potential energy computed by gromacs without having to use the command line and the overhead of writing/reading the result in files. I had a look at the code and indeed it seems possible using mdlib, however I'm a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of the code.

>From what I understood, I should call the function do_forces(), however it has many parameters, and after looking at do_md() , mdrunner() and main() it seems there is quite a lot of things to set up before calling that function.

So here are some more precise questions:
*which initialization are required? should I just copy past some parts of mdrunner for that?
*how do I load a gromacs topology file?
*I guess I also need a forcerec, how do I create on too?
*If I want to modify the atoms positions, can I do it in mdAtoms directly?

I know these questions are rather vague, so if you could just point to which part of md_runner() and do_md() I should look at, it would greatly help!

Thanks!
Augustin Chevallier