[gmx-developers] Thermostatting in selected directions

Milan Predota predota at prf.jcu.cz
Thu Feb 2 14:49:31 CET 2017

Berk,

thanks for a quick answer, but unfortunately the subtraction of
streaming velocity is not applicable in my case.

I'm working on planar solid-liquid interfaces where the liquid flows
along the surface under external electric field along the surface.

The streaming velocity profile is a complex function (from zero velocity
at sticking surface to homogeneous in the bulk), unknown in advance and
very dependent on the simulation conditions (surface charge, composition
and type of ions, applied field).

I'm sure more people working on similar NEMD simulations, e.g. applying
Poiseuille flow on liquid in a planar or cylindrical slab, must face
this limitation.

I understand to tweak thermostats is not easy since they enter the
integrator, but It is (at least in special cases) doable.

Simply I measure the kinetic energy only in selected directions, correct
the number of degrees of freedom and scale/modify only selected
directions, with the effect of thermostat on the others set to zero.

In my own Fortran MD code and the simulations I mention, I have checked
that kinetic energy in the non-thermostated direction (as well as
rotational energy - I was working with rigid SPC/E water) is very close
to the ref_t.

It is a pity - otherwise Gromacs offers great support for the
simulations I'm doing (e.g. semi-isotropic pressure coupling, external
field/forces acting on selected groups, etc.).

I'd be happy to provide the physics if someone is able to modify the codes.

Thanks,

Milan