[gmx-developers] free energies on GPUs?

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Mon Feb 13 09:32:15 CET 2017

That depends on what you mean with this.
With free-energy all non-perturbed non-bonded interactions can run on
the GPU. The perturbed ones currently can not. For a large system with a
few perturbed atoms this is no issue. For smaller systems the
free-energy kernel can be the limiting factor. I think there is a lot of
gain to be had in making the extremely complex CPU free-energy kernel
faster. Initially I thought SIMD would not help there. But since any
perturbed i-particle will have perturbed interactions with all j's, this
will help a lot.

Cheers,

Berk