[gmx-developers] plans for GROMACS 2017 release cycle

Eric Irrgang ericirrgang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:24:23 CET 2017

My goals for Python bindings would not be to run a Python script from
Gromacs, but to run Gromacs from Python. To do so, a lot of work is
warranted in generalizing the public and library APIs to decouple Gromacs
tools from terminal I/O and file I/O, and to make it easier to implement
module runners using a stable interface. The SIP-based project seems to be
tightly coupled to some fairly low-level details, while it seems reasonable
to me that the bindings for a scripting interface should be entirely
against public API functionality.

Two more goals are to allow copy-less data access across the bindings (via
the Python buffer protocol) and to provide the means for C++ objects to be
bound together via the Python interface (potentially from different shared
objects) so that the Python interpreter and bindings objects can be
invisible non-participants in C++-level API, particularly when MPI is
involved.

I don't know if these things are possible with SIP, but I'm having good
results with pybind11.

Additionally, I think it is important to offer compatibility with things
like numpy and Eigen-based tools without introducing dependencies.

A fair bit of work is warranted on the C++ side that would be influenced by
other issues. For instance, the future of reference-counted vector array
data structures ( https://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1017 )

I was about to start a Redmine issue looking at just the trajectory
read/write interfaces with the idea of bringing the various trajectory
editing/manipulation functionality to a public API level, but would it be a
hassle in preparing for the 2017 release candidate to have a chain of
Gerrit changes sitting there with brand new API features?