[gmx-developers] plans for GROMACS 2017 release cycle

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 21:01:44 CET 2017

Hi,

I think the python API is one of the most important things we'll introduce
in a long time, but for that reason we definitely shouldn't push anything
in last-minute.

However, within the next ~2 months I hope we can see a vivid discussion
with use cases and specifications in Redmine, and end up with a compromise
that satisfies most of us (nobody will get all their wishes). From my
point-of-view I feel that it's important that we achieve long-term
stability so the existing API in principle never changes (although it will
expand), and that it "feels" like a first-class python interface suitable
for large-scale & high-throughput scripting (rather than wrappers for C/C++
code).

So, I'll cast a strong vote that Python should wait for the 2018 release -
because it's too important to rush and get wrong :-)

Cheers,

Erik

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy at omrb.pnpi.spb.ru>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Mark Abraham писал 09-03-2017 19:03:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 3:49 PM Alexey Shvetsov
>> <alexxy at omrb.pnpi.spb.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'd like to add python api for gromacs as a suggestion (however we
>>> need
>>> to fix it first to work with current changes for trajectoryanalysis)
>>>

>> I suspect we've not done anywhere near enough groundwork (yet) for
>> this. Offhand, we should have a clear understanding of the scope
>> ("expose the trajectoryanalysis C++ API" seems to be that of the
>> current RFC patch in gerrit), how that adds value to users, and
>> whether the approach will be able to offer a suitably stable UI. We
>> also need to consider which versions of Python make sense to support
>>

> I think we can support both versions, however py3 is prefferable.
>

>> How does a script using it look? (Your link to
>> https://biod.pnpi.spb.ru from the Redmine no longer seems to work?)
>> Does that compare reasonably to offerings like
>> http://www.mdanalysis.org/pages/basic_example/ or
>> http://mdtraj.org/1.8.0/examples/introduction.html. What lessons have
>> we learned from them, and what aspects of other related python
>> toolsets should we plan to incorporate, so that users will find
>> themselves able to get the benefit of rapid compiler-free prototyping?
>>

> Currently we also have standalone version of py-api [1]
> This version expose to users
>  * all topology fields
>  * selections from trajectoryanalysis
>  * trajectoryanalysis api
> This version also include simple example of how to use it.
> So users can use it for one-time-use tools and prototyping with ability to
> use all numpy/scipy and other python related machinery.
>
> Version that listed in changeset on gerrit also includes possibility for
> pipelining modules
> So it can pass data between them or use many modules (e.g. select,
> distance, sasa, rdf, any c++ api module), reading trajectory only once.
>

>> There's widespread interest in something like this, and active work
>> over the medium term from some of our US colleagues, but if SIP is the
>> vehicle for exposing a C++ API to python, then we probably need first
>> to do some design work to make a C++ layer suitable for that, or a
>> python layer on top of the SIP. Particularly because "exposure to
>> Python" was never part of Teemu's initial design.
>>

> Some design work was already done, but there still many things that can be
> improved.
> However even current version already usable for simple tools.
>
> [1] http://biod.pnpi.spb.ru/gitweb/?p=alexxy/gromacs-pyapi.git;a=summary
>
> PS biod link wasnt worked because of electricity work in server room =)
> now links should work
>

> Mark

>>> with

>>> for

>>> then

>>> usual

> [...]

Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at gmail.com>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm
University
Science for Life Laboratory, Box 1031, 17121 Solna, Sweden