[gmx-developers] [gmx-users] Gromacs with Plumed

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 17:46:11 CET 2017

Hi Giovanni,

Let me take this discussion to the gmx-developers list, I think that
is the right audience for it.

Firstly, regarding the version info: all you need to do is to set e.g.
GMX_VERSION_SUFFIX='-PLUMED-2.0' in cmake/gmxVersionInfo.cmake to get
a version string that looks like this: "2016.2-PLUMED-2.0.

To your second question: I did mean upstream contribution! I think
such efforts would greatly benefit the simulation community and likely
make your work easier too. I think it would be not only feasible, but
a desired direction by many of the GROMACS developers too. So to
answer directly: yes, I do think it is feasible, but it will require
some short- and long-term work and commitment from the PLUMED devs.

The exact details of how to contribute the code will require a few
iterations, but here are a few relevant points:

- Developer guide:
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/2016/dev-manual/index.html;
- I recommend taking technical discussion to our issue management
server: https://redmine.gromacs.org; filing a "Feature" issue is the
appropriate starting point;

-  There are ongoing concerted efforts (see
https://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/2045) to design an (internal and
external) GROMACS API. The outcome of that project will certainly be
beneficial to PLUMED. Your feedback could also be useful in order that
current and future needs of PLUMED can be taken into considerations in
the API design.
However, given the simplicity of the current PLUMED <-> GROMACS
interaction (at least from what I've seen last time I checked), it
seems to me that it should be possible to introduce with moderate
effort a _much_ simpler API that could on the short-term be used by
PLUMED. This should allow that no patching and perhaps not even
recompilation is needed in order to use GROMACS with PLUMED!

To be honest, the question why is there such a barrier and limited
communication between projects that build on top of our code and the
GROMACS dev community has come up and puzzled me before, so I'm glad
there might be an opportunity here to move things in a good direction!

Szilárd