[gmx-developers] Gerrit, Jenkins and website back up

Vedran Miletić vedran at miletic.net
Tue Mar 21 16:02:43 CET 2017

On 02/26/2017 07:08 PM, Stefan Fleischmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the servers are back up. One more thing, the website www.gromacs.org is
> running on Ubuntu 12.04 and security updates for that release will end
> in April. I tried to upgrade to 14.04 at some point, but that broke the
> MindTouch wiki engine, probably because it depends on Mono and doesn't
> play well with the newer packages from Ubuntu 14.04. Anyway as far as I
> can tell that wiki engine is dead and we will have to find a replacement.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

Since April is almost here, I would suggest to start looking into this
issue. The obvious replacement is MediaWiki, but there are others, e.g.
whatever Markdown-based engine Freedesktop.org uses[0]. (I will find out
if it matters.)

Second option would be to ditch the Wiki and use one of the static site
generators (Jekyll[1], Hugo[2] or some other, there is a lot of
them[3]). Unlike Wikipedia, we do not get many content contributions
from the outside of the project so the wiki does not need to be easy to
edit (i.e. we can require knowing Markdown and/or Git).

Third option, which I would actually recommend, is to convert the
contents into a repo with reStructuredText files and compile it with
Sphinx, like we do with the manual.

If we want a fancy static landing page for www.gromacs.org so the
website does not look like "here is the different types of the docs and
nothing else" (like OpenMM[6] has, for example), this is also easily
doable with a nice-looking template[4] or a framework[5].

Thoughts?

Vedran

[0] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/
[1] https://jekyllrb.com/