[gmx-developers] fmt C++ formatting library

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 16:48:26 CEST 2017

Hi,

I've recently learned about the fmt formatting library [1] that's also
been presented during the 2017 CppCon [2]. It seems to be a pretty
great variadic templates-based alternative to printf fixing most if
not all of its flaws and at the same time allows avoiding the issue of
mixing formatting specifiers with the printed string itself.

The author also claims that a standard proposed is being prepared and
first round of feedback from the standards meeting has been positive,
so there is a good chance it might converge towards a C++ standard
inclusion.

License is BSD.

Overall, I think it looks great, and I (with my admittedly limited C++
knowledge) saw no reason to not consider using it in GROMACS.

Thoughts?

Szilárd

[1] http://fmtlib.net/latest/index.html
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptba_AqFYCM