[gmx-developers] Fw: [gmx-users] Fw: Two questions about PME-User in coulombtype

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Oct 18 13:56:31 CEST 2017

Hi,

I don't know if I can still mail to the gmx-users list (and I don't have
time to check now), so I answer to the devloper list, but please post my
answers below to the gmx-users list.

Cheers,

Berk

Answers:

1) Correct.
2) Correct.
3) PME splits the Coulomb interaction into two parts and this splitting
depends on beta. All you need to know is that up to the cut-off
distance, you exactly get the interaction you set in the table. Beyond
the cut-off you get 1/r.

Your potential values should have 10 decimals to be sure that rounding
errors are negligible. In principle, also r should have 10 decimals, but
0.0020000000 is identical to 0.002 (and 0.0000000000 to 0.000 or 0).