[gmx-developers] web site/documentation improvements [ fork of Re: Gerrit, Jenkins and website back up ]

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 12:04:35 CEST 2017

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The drawback I see with including patch levels is that it leads to a
> massive amount of different Google hits that should be identical.

Indeed, that is an issue right now as we only have patch-level links!

> Instead, I think it's better to enforce that patch level versions should
> *really* only be patches that fix specific bugs, never any new
> functionality (not even support for a new processor or performance
> tweaking).  We are creating an uphill battle for ourselves where the real
> release (2017 right now) is delayed because we yet again keep having lots
> of changes in 2016 (no matter how nice those changes are per se!)

I don't think that's related to the discoverability of the docs, is it?
Also, as far as I recall, such tweaks (e.g. the AVX512 or Volta related
change) did not require extra documentation (and to be honest these aren't
really what are delaying the releases, but that's another topic).

> So, wouldn't it make more sense to only have documentation for the actual
> released versions, not separate it into patch levels?

I think most of the differences between documentation related to patch
level versions is either tweaks, improvements, or additions of what's been
missing. Therefore, a single URL per release seems reasonable to me