[gmx-developers] Permanent best bang for your buck

Vedran Miletić vedran at miletic.net
Tue Sep 26 17:07:09 CEST 2017

Hi,

in May at the workshop Carsten presented the early 2017 remake of the
"Best bang for your buck" talk. With Ryzen performing very well, I'm
optimistic about AMD Epyc that is now out, but not sure where to look to
see how it performs.

Has anyone benchmarked a (dual socket) AMD Epyc node (with GPU(s))?
What's a good number of CPU cores per 1080 (Ti)? Do they give more
ns/day/dollar compared to Xeons?

More generally, could we create a "Permanent best bang for your buck"
database of benchmarks with a simple client script for users that
submits the results? Something like OpenBenchmarking.org [1] but
simpler. Alternatively, we could submit a benchmark to OpenBenchmarking.org.

Regards,
Vedran

[1] https://openbenchmarking.org/

--