[gmx-developers] Clusterizing a long-time trajectories

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Aug 5 22:46:16 CEST 2018

Den 2018-08-04 kl. 23:00, skrev Boris Timofeev:
> Dear David!
>
> Option  -dr, it is new?
> Perhaps, you meant - dt? There is no wish to thin out a trajectory.
-dt indeed. The reason for long simulations is typically that
transitions are slow and that it take long time to equilibrate. That
also means that frames near each other are highly correlated and
therefore the -dt option is no problem. However, this is obviously
problem dependent.

It could be possible to devise some kind of incremental clustering
algorithm that stores cluster centers and dynamically updates them. In
that manner the whole trajectory does not need to be stored. However
that would be a research project in itself, and I guess this kind of
algorithms has been developed long time ago. If you find such an
algorithm you could consider implementing it. Alternatively, if you see
a way of getting around the N^2 RMSD matrix in the existing algorithms
that would be interesting too.