[gmx-developers] Non Equilibrium alchemy implementation in gromacs

Piero Procacci piero.procacci at unifi.it
Fri Dec 14 09:35:40 CET 2018

I raed with interest your JCP work on free energy o hydration.
However, before coming to the rather apodyctic conclusion such as
"traditional Multistate Bennett Acceptance Ratio (MBAR) is more
efficient than non-equilibrium methods such as Jarzynsky and Crooks
for hydration free energies", maybe it would be better to test the
method on a more challenging example than the one you have used. I
agree in fact, that for simple rigid molecules, with inexistent or
little conformational disorder, the HFE can be computed more
efficiently (i.e. using less computational resources) with standard
FEP.  Actually even FEP is unnecessary for most of the molecules in your
data set.  As you certainly knwow, the HFE of ethanol, for example,
can be recovered in a *single* slow growth simulation of about 2
ns. In figure 8 (left) of the 2014 JCTC paper 10.1021/ct500142c, the
2.6 ns growth and annhilation of ethanol are depicted, evidencing that
this time for this system basically corresponds to a reversible
tranformation. This would be true for 90\% of the molecules of your
data set. So you could have invested your 10+10=20 ns (!) of
equilibrium simulation of the end points in few back and forth slow
(for these system in this "fast" solvent) growth/annhiliation to get
good HFE with a good confidence interval, overperforming both FEP and
NE. Things, of course, get much tougher than in this nearly ideal
systems where nither FEP nor NE method are necessary. See for example
the growth an annhilation of the same etOH but in 1-octanol on the
right of Fig 8 in 10.1021/ct500142c. If the ligand has a complex
conformational space and/or the environment reorganized much less
rapidly than water, the NE method (coupled with h-REM) can be the only
viable alternative. Of course the NE method does not come for free in
terms of computer resources, but it can be parallelized ideally with
no loss of efficiency no matter how large is ncores.

P.S. Does the official version of gromacs already support NE simulation
in a single parallel job or you somehow patched up your 50 NE
trajectories using the current FEP implementation in discrete lambda
steps?

Piero