[gmx-developers] functionality to deprecate in 2018 release

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 4 14:43:08 CET 2018

On 1/4/18 4:55 AM, Mark Abraham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Jernej Zidar <jernej.zidar at gmail.com
> <mailto:jernej.zidar at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     The "-deffnm" option is very handy because the user doesn't have
>     to specify every single output file (energy, trajectory, log,
>     checkpoint).
>

> But what's the requirement for renaming them? The default names are
> fine - name collisions only arise when someone tries to do their
> entire (sub)project in the same directory, which IMO is an anti-pattern.

To counter that, I train my students to ALWAYS use descriptive file
names. Of course one can have a variety of organizational schemes, but
training someone who is new to MD is difficult if they just have a lot
of generically named files, because a lot of the initial concepts are
somewhat abstract.

"What's in traj.trr?" (student gives blank stare)
"What's in md_20_30.trr?" (student says "the trajectory data from 20-30 ns")

The connection is obvious in how one assembles proper inputs and uses
previous output to move forward.

I, for one, would HATE to lose -deffnm. It's going to make teaching new
users more difficult and it's going to break every script I have.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.