[gmx-developers] r2018 regressiontest script return value does not reflect test results

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:18:33 CEST 2018

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, this test hardness has been broken for years. I discovered that and
> fixed it in January (https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/7478/), but nobody has
> voted plus 2 on it yet, mostly because few people know Perl or how the
> harness works.

Thanks. I asked because I spent some time looking in the
regressiontest repo, redmine, emails, and could not find a trace of
the issue, but I assumed I'd find at least a redmine on it targetted
for a release so we know we need to deal with it and it's not just an
issue that's lost in the sea of WIP on gerrit.

I saw the issue has been merged now, but I can't find a redmine issue
or release note updates. Given that this can lead to different result
after the update, i.e. failing "make check" after the update (in known
cases that I've observed which prompted my email), we should probably
note something, shouldn't we?

> We also have large gaps in our test coverage (e.g. we are
> fixing bugs after refactoring the leapfrog update code, because we have no
> testing with freeze groups) which we must remember is a comparable or larger
> problem than whether we cover all SIMD flavours or compiler versions in
> pre-submit configurations. This is something that we must all work together
> to improve!

This and the rest is relevant, but it's largely off topic ("topics"
actually) so I'll leave that for separate discussions.