[gmx-developers] Accurate energy minization is not reliable

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Sep 11 11:01:34 CEST 2018

Hi,

I am finding that energy minimization not always succeeds, even for very
simple molecules such as 2-octanol or pentoxypentane. This leads to
problems when you want to do a normal mode analysis based on that structure.

The code for conjugate gradients has comments (from Erik) that suggest
there are some short-cuts being taken (see example below). I do not want
to modify this code, but it might be good to have a minimizer that
*does* go all the way to zero force (steepest descents doesn't do it
either).

Suggestions?

          * In theory, we should minimize the function along this direction.
          * That is quite possible, but it turns out to take 5-10
function evaluations
          * for each line. However, we dont really need to find the
exact minimum -
          * it is much better to start a new CG step in a modified
direction as soon
          * as we are close to it. This will save a lot of energy
evaluations.
          *

Head of Department, Cell & Molecular Biology, Uppsala University.
Box 596, SE-75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone: +46184714205.
http://www.icm.uu.se