[gmx-developers] Transition to Gitlab

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 16:55:14 CEST 2019

PS: Just wanted to let everyone know that I tested the "squash merges"
setup, which works great (including a possibility to edit the commit
message), and it checks that the branch is in a state that allows
fast-forward merging (and does not allow any other type of merges if we say
so).

Now, what I haven't yet tested is how to properly rebase an entire branch
locally when that isn't the case - although I'm sure that's just a question
of knowing the right kind of git magic.

Cheers,

Erik

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 6:20 AM Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As far as I could tell, the last point - which I agree is nice - is
> available at least in gitlab too (not sure about github) by only accepting
> fast-forward merge requests, and then one can decide to squash them (but
> that might not have been available 5-7 years ago).
>
> However, my take on it isn't based on not liking Gerrit, but finding a
> solution that is is stable, fast, and with as little administration as
> possible for the combination of
>
> - code review
> - hosting multiple branches
> - making it easy for users to maintain separate repos
> - A CI where we specify jobs as docker images, and have the CI specs fully
> integrated in the source repo
> - Enabling us to self-host CI jobs with a few fat redundant servers
> - improving testing performance by enabling caching  per change
> - Separating long compile from short testing runs so we can compile
> everywhere instead of waiting for a particular host
> - not having to maintain multiple sites (eg. Gerrit+Jenkins+Redmine) and
> doing admin like removing spam users
> - Having so clear documentation that everyone can fix things and
> extend/adjust jobs
> - Zero cost
>

> ... And there i simply haven't found any good overall setup based on
> Gerrit.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se>
> Professor of Biophysics
> Science for Life Laboratory
> Stockholm University & KTH
> Office (SciLifeLab): +46 8 524 81567
> Cell (Sweden): +46 73 4618050
> Cell (US): +1 (650) 924 7674
>

> > On 1 Aug 2019, at 00:20, Schulz, Roland <roland.schulz at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > Many discussions on the web:
> > e.g.
> https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/173262/gerrit-code-review-or-githubs-fork-and-pull-model
> > or https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8605293
> >
> > My take:
> >
> > Github/gitlab pull-request pros:
> > - Much more developers are familiar with it
> > - Allows to review branches
> > - Doesn't force the developer to rewrite history and break into
> individually small reviewable patches
> >
> > Gerrit pros:
> > - What we are used to. Either model needs a good workflow with agreed on
> best practices. We need to learn/document them anew if we switch.
> > - Forces developers to rewrite history makes it sometimes easier for
> reviewers
> > - You end up with a single commit after review which is guaranteed to
> compile and work by itself. With pull-request you have a branch with all
> the fixes based on the review. Either you squash it before you merge or you
> have all the fixits commit in the main git history. In the first case if
> the original code was multiple commits from a branch (and if not you lose
> [...]

Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at dbb.su.se>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm
University
Science for Life Laboratory, Box 1031, 17121 Solna, Sweden