[gmx-developers] Double precision on GPU's

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Mon Jul 22 22:28:13 CEST 2019

Hi,

IIRC all Nvidia Tesla cards have always had double precision, at half
the throughput of single precision. But there are very few cases where
double precision is needed. Energy drift in single precision is never an
issue, unless you really can not use a thermostat.

But having said that, making the GPU code, either CUDA or OpenCL work in
double precision is probably not much effort. But making it work
efficiently requires optimizing several algorithmic parameters and maybe
changing the arrangement of some data in the different GPU memory levels.

Cheers,

Berk