[gmx-developers] Update to compiler and library requirements for GROMACS 2021

Eric Irrgang ericirrgang at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 16:18:23 CEST 2020

Hello Developers.

Per the developer telco, I created merge request https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/merge_requests/98 to bump the compiler and standard library requirements for GROMACS 2021.

A follow-up merge request ( https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/merge_requests/108 ) has a minimal resolution to some header `#include` sorting ugliness that accompanies !98.

The CI jobs triggered by these changes encounter various warnings from the clang static analyzer. They should all be easy to fix on `master`. Since I don't have much time to address them myself, I have described the issues for whoever can tackle them:

https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3498
https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3500
https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3501
https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3502
https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3503
https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3504

I believe I have resolved the feedback on https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/merge_requests/98 so I hope we can resolve these issues and https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3297 quickly. If you have lingering concerns about !98, please open additional follow-up issues or, for important blocking details, please push additional commits and be clear about your criteria for approving the issue.

If there are substantial questions or tasks remaining, I hope I can be forgiven for abdicating ownership of the change at this point and that someone else can keep the ball rolling.

Best,
M. Eric Irrgang