[gmx-developers] GitLab squash commit messages

Eric Irrgang ericirrgang at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 20:22:26 CEST 2020

Hi Devs,

I find that the dialog box to edit the squash commit message has not been working for me.

Has anyone had success editing commit messages for the squash-fast-forward merges in GitLab?

I thought it might be some sort of JavaScript related bug, so I've tried clicking around the web page after writing the commit message and I have tried both Chrome and Safari browsers, but inevitably the squash commit message ends up being just the commit message from the first commit in the merge request.

Have others noticed this? Has anyone found otherwise?

Some recent commits on master have very wrong commit messages. If I am doing something wrong, please tell me.

Issues https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/26748 and https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/18142 are close, but they are asking for new features, whereas what I am encountering seems to be that an existing feature is not working as expected.

Best,
Eric