[gmx-developers] Packaging GROMACS in Bioconda

Robin Long robin.long1 at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Dec 18 11:23:23 CET 2020

Hello All,

I am an RSE at Manchester working with Stian Soiland-Reyes, I have
previously been tasked with updating the bioconda gromacs recipe. In the
process of improving this so that Gromacs in conda has support for MPI
some of the build option has been questioned and we are unsure why these
decisions were made in the first place and what side affects would come
about from removing them.

Specifically, why are we using static libraries in the build instead of
shared ones, and why we are building static libraries to be linked
against. It maybe that these could be removed, but if anyone has any
knowledge as to why these were setup this way, or what affect removing
them would have we would be grateful.

The questions and build scripts can be seen here:
https://github.com/bioconda/bioconda-recipes/pull/25847/#discussion_r545226970

Thanks,

Robin Long

Research Software Engineer,