[gmx-developers] Storing the system dipole for predicting infrared spectra

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Feb 14 14:22:51 CET 2020

Hi,

it would be useful to be able to store the system dipole for whole
molecules from an MD simulation for computing infrared spectra. It seems
that the dipole that is calculated when using the PME surface correction
is based on broken molecules (but that may be correct for that purpose).

I have implemented an "applied force" that acts to store the (still
incorrect) dipole and then writes it to a file at the end of the run.

However, I wonder whether it would be better to have the option to store
the dipole in the energy file again (with a warning that it will slow
down the simulation)?

Any clues?
Head of Department, Cell & Molecular Biology, Uppsala University.
Box 596, SE-75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone: +46184714205.
http://www.icm.uu.se