[gmx-developers] looking for co-mentor for GSoC 2020: TNG format

Magnus Lundborg magnus.lundborg at scilifelab.se
Thu Mar 19 09:14:03 CET 2020

Hi,

As the main developer of the TNG API I'm happy to hear about this
initiative as we needed more hands already from the beginning, and
no-one has taken the development over since I moved on to other things.

On 2020-03-18 21:17, David van der Spoel wrote:
> Den 2020-03-18 kl. 19:20, skrev Oliver Beckstein:
>> Hello Gromacs Developers,
>>
>> As part of Google Summer of Code 2020 with MDAnalysis
>> <https://www.mdanalysis.org/2020/02/22/gsoc2020/#google-summer-of-code-2020>
>> we proposed a project to work on the TNG format. Originally the plan
>> was to just make sure that MDAnalysis can work with TNG but after a
>> chat with Erik at BPS (and in the spirit of the last MolSSI
>> interoperability workshop) we thought that it would be more useful to
>> take a step back and possibly work towards finalizing the TNG format
>> <https://github.com/MDAnalysis/mdanalysis/wiki/Project-Ideas-2020#project-6-implement-tng-support> with
>> the goal to make it usable in any MD analysis code (including
>> MDAnalysis). The preliminary objectives would be:
>
> Great initiative!
>

>>  1. Fully define the API and capabilities of TNG.
> The existing functionality or would you add stuff that has been
> disccussed for a long time like energies and other data blocks?
As far as I know the API should be complete as it is, but perhaps not as
polished as would be nice. Adding energies and other data blocks are
more a matter of adding it in the software packages using the library.
The only exception is that data block IDs are kept as a central
repository in the library. But this is just to keep track of them and to
avoid ID conflicts. As far as I remember, there is in principle nothing
that prevents anyone from writing anything in TNG.

>>  2. Write documentation.
>>  3. Write a reference library implementation (C or C++).
> How would that be different from the existing implementation?
Yes, what is the difference between the existing API and library (in C)?
There are plans to make it more C++ compliant. That could be a good
project. A full rewrite to proper C++ would be even better. One problem
since early on was that the API and ABI was promised to be fully
backwards compatible. That makes a redesign harder and explains some of
the "late add-ons".

>>  4. Write tests.
There are some functionality tests in the TNG library, but more
extensive unit tests would of course be good.
>>  5. Bonus: Write Python bindings (see start in our pytng
>>     <https://github.com/MDAnalysis/pytng> library) and integrate with
>>     MDAnalysis
>

>> This project outline is not set in stone and we would be more than
>> happy to adapt it according to your expert input.
>>
>> We have at least one promising candidate student who is interested in
>> working on this project during 10 weeks this summer.
>>
>> We would need at least one knowledgable co-mentor from the GROMACS
>> developer community who could commit to mentoring. See
>> https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/ what is expected of
>> mentors. In short, you would be involved in selecting students,
>> communicating with the student (primarily using mailing lists and
>> issue trackers) on a near-daily basis, help with keeping the project
>> on track, and evaluating the student for GSoC (midterm and final
>> evaluation at pass/fail level). About 5h/week is a realistic minimum.
I could hopefully clarify some things in the beginning of the project
and possible during as well, but I'm afraid I cannot promise any regular
co-mentoring.