[gmx-developers] GROMACS 2021 beta timeline and 2020.4 point release

Paul bauer paul.bauer.q at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:14:13 CEST 2020

Hello @ all gmx-developers,

as we are entering the fourth quarter of the year, we are also entering
the time for preparing the next major GROMACS release by starting the
beta phase for it.

The plan is to have the first beta release now at the beginning of
October, together with the feature freeze and focus on stabilization and
bug fixing during the rest of the year.
There will be two or three beta versions of GROMACS 2021 during October
and November, followed by a release candidate in December and the final
2021 release in mid January next year.

If you haven't uploaded your code for review on Gitlab yet it is now
almost too late to do, and we ask you to reconsider your changes for the
2022 release instead to help us focus on the current set of MRs that are
open.

Also, please don't forget to add your release notes for new features, so
that users will know what has changed in the new version.

We are also planning to release another point release for the 2020
branch of GROMACS at the end of September.
Please consider helping us with fixing issues that are targeted at this
version
(https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues?milestone_title=2020.4) and
by reviewing the associated MRs
(https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/merge_requests?milestone_title=2020.4).