[gmx-developers] Install both MPI and non-MPI GROMACS in a single location ?

Gilles Gouaillardet gilles at rist.or.jp
Tue Apr 27 11:44:15 CEST 2021

Dear GROMACS developers,

On Fugaku (and many more supercomputers), GROMACS is installed via Spack.

End users generally use the MPI version for their jobs (e.g. cmake
-DGMX_MPI=ON) but sometimes

prefer the serial version (e.g. -DGMX_MPI=OFF) for pre/post processing
and/or single node thread-MPI.

 From a Spack usage point of view, it means two variants of GROMACS have
to be installed

  - spack install gromacs +mpi

  - spack install gromacs -mpi

and it is up to the user to load the right module (and sometimes swap it
in the middle of a script).

This is in my opinion not very user friendly and error prone.

I noted the serial and parallel variants generate different binaries
(e.g. gmx_mpi vs gmx)

and common files (e.g. in the share directory), so I built a prototype
recipe in which

both variants end up in the same spack module.

Before submitting it upstream, I would like to have your feedback as
GROMACS developers:

Is it safe to install both serial and parallel variants of GROMACS in
the same prefix?

Cheers,

Gilles