[gmx-developers] How to obtain the element of an atom?

Lorién López Villellas lorien.lopez at bsc.es
Thu Feb 11 16:22:50 CET 2021

Hi.

Why is the element number relevant for constraints? The element number is
> never used in MD calculations.

We have performed a heavy code optimization based on the structural
patterns of the peptide chains. In order to apply this optimization, we
need a very specific bond numbering. To get to this bond numbering, we use
a bond reordering phase. The reordering algorithm needs to know the
elements of the molecule's atoms to locate itself.

Working with the legacy gromacs topology data structures, such as the
> iatoms (really just a vector of ints) and iparams can be quite challenging.
> Additionally, adding new code to constraints code is likely to face
> challenges based on the core gromacs team being hesitant to take on new
> maintenance burdens. However, depending on how much effort you have to
> spend on this, I might suggest that you could check out the nblib topology
> and force calculation API in gromacs 2021. Using this, it could be much
> easier to implement your new algorithm. Please have a look at the sample
> scripts in api/nblib/samples to get an idea of how, for instance, listed
> forces such as bonds are handled by nblib. If this looks promising, perhaps
> we can have a chat about potential integration pathways.

This project has been running for some years now (since 2013), so we
started working with the old C-GROMACS data structures. So far, we have
used a custom benchmark, but now we want to evaluate our algorithm's
performance in a real environment. I will take a look at nblib.

Regards,
Lorién

http://bsc.es/disclaimer