[gmx-developers] Install both MPI and non-MPI GROMACS in a single location?

Eric Irrgang ericirrgang at gmail.com
Mon May 10 13:21:19 CEST 2021

Thank you, Gilles.

I realized after I sent my last message that there are _potential_ conflicts for multiple modules. GROMACS is aware of or sensitive to several environment variables that could unexpectedly diverge with multiple GROMACS modules loaded for different environments. The most obvious are those in the GMXRC.

In general, I don't think this should be a problem, as long as the multiple modules are the same GROMACS release.

Someone please let me know if I'm overlooking something.

If there is a conflict with using different build configurations of GROMACS from different installation directories, we should probably try to resolve that, or at least clarify it in the documentation. I think we have traditionally preferred to decouple GROMACS installation robustness from local conventions regarding installation directories.

Best,
M. Eric Irrgang