[gmx-developers] More on Milestones

Eric Irrgang ericirrgang at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:51:45 CET 2021

Hi All.

First, I want to apologize for not writing to the list sooner to explain some updates to some tracked issues.

Peter and I found some limitations in gmxapi that seem very important to solve before the gmxapi 0.3 release. Since there was already existing documentation about several of the issues, and because I wanted to provide a clear, open, and organized description of the issues and path to resolution, I created a "gmxapi 0.3" Milestone: https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/milestones/127

I am salvaging some stale issues. Some issue descriptions may not be updated right away, but I promise to clean up the "gmxapi 0.3" milestone and any issues I associate with it in a timely manner.

Again, I apologize for not communicating clearly and immediately. Erik Lindahl noticed the surprising re-opening of stale issues and we started to bump into each other trying to update them.

Erik: I think most developers would be happy to do the menial labor of applying whatever updates and status changes are deemed necessary, if directly contacted. (It seems like unnecessary overhead for such things to land on any single person's shoulders.)

In addition to saving you some time, delegating issue updates would also allow for some reduction of noise in the issue comments.

# kanban board

I think the progress tracking of the milestone board is very informative regarding the described tasks. https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/milestones/127

For better or for worse, the columns are assigned according to whether an issue has an assignee and whether it is open or closed.

# issue assignees

I am putting some issues under the Milestone while I review them, and may permanently close them (not just "Stale" label and closed due to inactivity). We had been saying that whether an issue has an assignee should map to whether it is actively being worked on. I don't want to indicate that I am working to resolve an issue when really the issue is being investigated for whether it will be addressed and on what timeline.

Neither Erik nor I know off-hand of a way to change the kanban column rules easily. As such, I think our efforts would be better spent finding ways to make the existing GitLab logic work for us. (I wasn't sure whether this sort of column editing was unavailable or whether it was just something I didn't have access to.)

In the absence of easy rules editing, I think it would be most effective to use the built-in rule based on assignee, and find another way to indicate to other devs that the issue is being actively managed.

Is it sufficient that the issue is associated with an actively maintained Milestone and marked with a "Stale" tag, which marks an issue for closure after a further 3 months? I think it is clear that I am taking responsibility for the "gmxapi 0.3" milestone and its associated issues. I hope we can agree that the utility of the Milestone interface is more valuable than the ability to filter on the attribute of whether an issue has an assignee.