[gmx-developers] Unsquashed MR in master

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 07:08:36 CEST 2021

Hi,

I think it's clear to follow normal practice and not rewrite history. Doing
so means we have to rename master, delete it, push a fixed one, organize to
replace the updated content, and then fix/delete the repo of anybody who's
pulled in the meantime, including projects that automatically mirror us
(including our own mirror on github). That's a small amount of activity for
some people. Doing nothing means that there's a chance in future of someone
doing a bisection and hitting one of these 24 commits that might not build
or might fail a test. If they do, most of the time they'll see that the
failure mode is different and they can move to a different nearby commit
and try again. This is already what they would have to do if the case
they're investigated was something that only failed in post-submit testing
or the pre-submit testing that is not a formal requirement for gitlab to
permit an MR to be submitted.