[gmx-developers] GROMACS Developer bi-weekly videoconference

Eric Irrgang ericirrgang at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:43:24 CEST 2022

In the context of abstracting out our usage of (literal) `MPI_COMM_WORLD`, issue https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/4457 notes:

"Various uses of MPI_COMM_WORLD occur in blocks that are conditional on #if GMX_THREAD_MPI. These are harmless, but it seems like it would be more readable and future-proof to update these to reference TMPI_COMM_WORLD instead."

Does anyone have any preferences for or against changing the thread-MPI-specific references to the global communicator to TMPI_COMM_WORLD?

I think this would improve readability, and remind readers that thread-MPI is a special case that (at least for the foreseeable future) does _not_ get its global communicator through the library initialization API, but rather much later than `gmx::init()`.

If this distinction is not something we would want to enshrine, then maybe it would be acceptable to replace these references with some suitable abstraction. In the near term, that might be a static function or global variable (which would at least give us an opportunity to have a single definition that can be documented). Truly modularized management of an abstracted communicator acquisition/ownership for tMPI would require more work (ref https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3688 and interactions with https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3718)