[gmx-developers] Infusing GROMACS with an implementation of Newton's method.

Carl Christian K. Mikkelsen spock at cs.umu.se
Fri Feb 18 12:53:45 CET 2022

Hello,

I represent a group of researchers who are working towards infusing the
SHAKE algorithm in GROMACS with a parallel implementation of Newton's
method.
We have the necessary expertise to write the required kernels from
scratch without the overhead associated with using a general purpose
library for solving sparse linear systems.

An obstacle remains. We need the ability to redistribute the coordinates
and velocities of the atoms of a large molecule as described below.

Consider a GROMACS simulation that includes of a large molecule with
bond constraints.
*Given an arbitrary coloring of the vertices of the molecular graph, is
there in GROMACS a mechanism that will allow us to collect the data of
all atoms with the same color on the same MPI rank?*
If the answer is yes, then how can this be done?

We make no assumptions on the number of atoms, bonds, ranks or colors.
The ideal mechanism will work regardless of how GROMACS has distributed
the data at the current time.
The ideal mechanism will allow us to use a subcommunicator of the MPI
communicator used by GROMACS.

Kind regards

Carl Christian.

--
Carl Christian Kjelgaard Mikkelsen, Ph.D
Department of Computing Science and HPC2N

Telephone: +46(0)90-786 5759
Email:spock at cs.umu.se  /carl.c.kjelgaard.mikkelsen at umu.se

By sending an email to Umeå University, the University processes your
personal data. For more information, please read:https://www.umu.se/en/gdpr