[gmx-users] Using GROMACS with small molecules

Daan van Aalten dava at davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk
Sun Dec 9 17:16:25 CET 2001

Hi Alexandre

GROMACS itself does not have the capability of generating topologies for
non-protein/dna small molecules. However, you can automatically generate
topologies for almost any small molecule made up of H,C,N,O,P,S,F,Cl,Br,I
with PRODRG, see
http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/programs/prodrg/prodrg.html

You mention you want to include metals, which PRODRG currently
does not support. You could however, fake things by replacing your metals
with P,C or S and then altering values for non-bonded parameters later by
hand.

Hope this helps

cheers

Daan

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Alexandre Suman de Araujo wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> It's my first message to the list and I'm a begginer in molecular dynamics. A friend of mine that work with molecular dynamics of proteins told me about GROMACS and that I could use it to make my simulations of small organometalics molecules.
> I installed GROMACS in my PC and I read a good part of manual and the archieve of this list and I still have the following doubt: Can I use GROMACS to make my simulations of small organometalics molecules with relative easiness and with good results???
> If somebody work with this type of simulation, every help is welcome. If GROMACS is not a good choice to make this simulations, can somebody advise me which one(or ones) are good???
> Thank's a lot.
>
> Alexandre Suman de Araujo
> IFSC - USP - São Carlos
> UIN: 6194055

Dr. Daan van Aalten                    Wellcome Trust RCD Fellow
Wellcome Trust Biocentre, Dow Street   TEL: ++ 44 1382 344979
Div. of Biol.Chem. & Mol.Microbiology  FAX: ++ 44 1382 345764
School of Life Sciences                E-mail: dava at davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk
Univ. of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK    WWW: http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk

        O     C           O     C         Visit the PRODRG server to take
        "     |           "     |         the stress out of your topologies!
  N--c--C--N--C--C--N--C--C--N--C--C--O
     |           "     |           "      http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/
     C-C-O       O   C-C-C         O             programs/prodrg/prodrg.html
       "