[gmx-users] Continuation 1) after crash and 2) in general

K.A.Feenstra k.a.feenstra at chem.rug.nl
Wed Dec 12 15:05:07 CET 2001

"Dr. Y. U. Sasidhar" wrote:

> Does it imply that, if we start a fresh simulation keeping all parameters same
> and using positions and velocities of last frame of 1 ns run,
> we will not get the same trajectory that would result from a continous run ?

But also if you run twice with binaries compiled with different
compiler versions, or on different hardware, or with different
c libraries, you will not get identical results.

Also, if you truncate the full precision positions and velocities
(which are about 7 decimal places) to 6 decimal places, which is
a completely negligible perturbation, you will get a different result.

This is to say, you shouldn't worry too much about this, its just
one of the properties of a multi-body system.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
|             | Anton Feenstra       Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry |
|  _   _  ___,| K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl    University of Groningen |
| / \ / \'| | | Tel +31 50 363 4327                    Nijenborgh 4 |
|(   |   )| | | Fax +31 50 363 4800               9747 AG Groningen |
| \_/ \_/ | | | http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton        The Netherlands |
|             | "Make the Floor Burn" (2 Unlimited)                 |