[gmx-users] eigenvalues and number of frames

Daan van Aalten dava at davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Apr 5 08:58:17 CEST 2002

Dear Jose

The principle of this is very simple: you can't calculate the value of
more parameters than the number of observations you put in. Thus, even
though you might have a 300 dimensional space (with a theoretical system
of 100 atoms), if you only put in 25 structures it is possible to
calculate at the VERY most 25 eigenvectors. If you put in more than 300
structures the eigenvectors become more reliable as in fact your system is
then overdetermined. This has also been explained in a paper which
describes calculation of eigenvectors on very underdetermined systems
(ensembles of PDB files, no simulation) in :

D.M.F. van Aalten, D.A. Conn, B.L. de Groot, H.J.C. Berendsen, J.B.C.
Findlay and A. Amadei, "Protein dynamics derived from clusters of crystal
structures", Biophys. J. (1997), 73, 2891-2896.

warmest regards

Daan

Dr. Daan van Aalten                    Wellcome Trust RCD Fellow
Wellcome Trust Biocentre, Dow Street   TEL: ++ 44 1382 344979
Div. of Biol.Chem. & Mol.Microbiology  FAX: ++ 44 1382 345764
School of Life Sciences                E-mail: dava at davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk
Univ. of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK    WWW: http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk

        O     C           O     C         Visit the PRODRG server to take
        "     |           "     |         the stress out of your topologies!
  N--c--C--N--C--C--N--C--C--N--C--C--O
     |           "     |           "      http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/
     C-C-O       O   C-C-C         O             programs/prodrg/prodrg.html
       "