[gmx-users] 3.1 problems still on SP

David L. Bostick dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Thu Apr 11 22:58:51 CEST 2002

Hi Erik,

I continue to have problems running the mpi enabled version of mdrun
on gmx3.1 on the SP.  I get all the environmental variables set so that it
compiles succesfully without complaints, but it consistently gives
segmentation faults no matter what system or set of simulation controls I
throw at it.

I thought it might have something to do with grompp3.1 or the way my
simulation was controlled in the input .mdp file for grompp3.1.  So, to put
this idea to rest I built a test system .tpr file using grompp2.0 that has
been working on my SP for a long time.  I then ran the test run with this
.tpr file from gmx2.0 as input for mdrun2.0, a compiled version of
mdrun3.0, and a compiled version of mdrun3.1.  The only program that
doesn't seem to work is mdrun3.1.  The segmentation fault cannot be due to
the difference in tpx file_version because I get similar errors for 3.1 no
matter which grompp I use.

I get the following:

for mdrun2.0 Standard out gives:

starting mdrun 'huge bilayer with 576 dppc molecules'
500 steps,      1.0 ps.

for mdrun3.0 Standard out gives:

Reading file 64.tpr, VERSION 2.0 (single precision)
Reading file 64.tpr, VERSION 2.0 (single precision)
Note: tpx file_version 11, software version 20

starting mdrun 'huge bilayer with 576 dppc molecules'
500 steps,      1.0 ps.

for mdrun3.1 Standard out gives:

Reading file 64.tpr, VERSION 2.0 (single precision)
Reading file 64.tpr, VERSION 2.0 (single precision)
Note: tpx file_version 11, software version 24

starting mdrun 'huge bilayer with 576 dppc molecules'
500 steps,      1.0 ps.

ERROR: 0031-250  task 0: Segmentation fault
ERROR: 0031-250  task 3: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 2: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 4: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 1: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 5: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 9: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 6: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 8: Terminated
ERROR: 0031-250  task 7: Terminated

David Bostick					Office: 262 Venable Hall
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy			Phone:  (919)962-0165
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics
UNC-Chapel Hill
CB #3255 Phillips Hall				dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Chapel Hill, NC 27599	           		http://www.unc.edu/~dbostick