[gmx-users] Representative structure of a long simulation

David L. Bostick dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Mon Apr 29 14:53:42 CEST 2002

Very well..

Perhaps averaging would give some strange results, however, in principle, a
system which samples it's free energy minimum should generate a set of
structures where {x}avg = {x}best .. taking {x} to be its configuration.
The spirit of essential dynamics will capture this because in a condensed
system such as a protein, many degrees of freedom may be "essentially"
constrained, and the rest will not be.  It is precisely this
"unconstrained" subspace that is most likely to cause strange things to
happen when averaging over an entire trajectory.

I've never used the program, but g_cluster, can generate clusters of
structures.  I'm just brainstorming, but could you cluster your trajectory
of structures.  Find the most populated cluster, and average over this?

David

David Bostick					Office: 262 Venable Hall
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy			Phone:  (919)962-0165
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics
UNC-Chapel Hill
CB #3255 Phillips Hall				dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Chapel Hill, NC 27599	           		http://www.unc.edu/~dbostick