[gmx-users] AFM pulling options

Justin MacCallum jlmaccal at ucalgary.ca
Fri Aug 2 18:28:36 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've recieved those changes from Marc and will incorperate them when I
get some time.  The last comment about AFM only working in the z
directions should no longer be valid and you should be able to pull in
any direction you like.

One important point for anyone using the pull code:

          USE THE LATEST VERSION FROM CVS!!!

I've been working on the pull code a little bit at a time and haven't
been synchronized with the Gromacs release schedule.  The pull code in
previous releases of Gromacs is probably in some undefined state and
likely does not work entirely correctly.  Here is a summary of the
changes I can remember off hand:

1. Output will now be compressed with gzip if option compress is yes.
2. Option "Skip steps" will cause Gromacs to write out n steps. This is
good for shrinking file sizes.
3. Up to four groups can be pulled, previously you were limitted to two.
4. Umbrella sampling now works.
    Options are:    K1 - K4, which are force constants in kJ/(mol nm-2).
                            Pos1 - Pos4, which are the centers of the
umbrella potential wrt the reference group.
5. Dynamic reference groups now work with all pulling types instead of
just constraint force calculations.
6. There is new starting structure generation code.  _This has not been
tested_, but its on my list of things to do.
7.  AFM, umbrella sampling, and starting structure generation should
work in parallel, but this has not recieved much testing.

If anyone is willing to test/use any of this, that would be great.  If
there are any problems, let me know and I'll do my best to correct them
as quickly as possible.

Justin