[gmx-users] Re: genbox glitch on Windows port?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 15 19:29:06 CEST 2002

Hi John,

I'm not using the Windows version myself, so it can take a couple of
days before
I even check problems, but we'll definitely fix it.

>I noticed a rather interesting bug with genbox when running on Windows 2000
>pro. Genbox completely erases the contents of my top file when I run it in
>the Windows command line.  This is not a big problem because I can just
>leave the top filename out of the command line and edit the file later to
>include the number of solvent molecules.

Oops. Thanks for letting me know; I'll debug it and see what the problem
is. The
file input/output is slightly different in windows.

>Another word of advice for your WIN2000 users: do not install gromacs to the
>Program Files directory.  Gromacs appears to have a problem, internally,
>finding the path when looking for cpp.exe with a long directory name like
>Program Files.  Gromacs works much better when installed to the root
>(PATH=c:\Gromacs\bin).

Ah - it could be the space. I'll check this one too.

Actually, it's quite nice to see that the windows port is useful; the
reason we did it in the first place was to make it possible to use
Gromacs in folding at home, but if you are using it we'll try to update the
windows version too.

Cheers,

Erik