[gmx-users] genbox + editconf

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Thu Dec 19 09:29:57 CET 2002

Senthil Kandasamy wrote:

[...]
> I decided to try genbox on a pre-existing lipid bilayer, just as a test
> case. If I do things correctly, i should get a lipid bilayer with extra
> waters inserted, especially between the leaflets.Though not physically
> valid,it would be an easy way to check things.

Right.

[...]
> But Solvated.gro is not what it should be. I have my original bilayer
> still centered at the origin. Then,there is this additional rarified
> water box (the new added waters ) that is not centered at the origin. It
> seems to be translated by half the box length in all three directions so
> that there is only one common octant between the original bilayer and my
> new added waters. Almost seems like the water box was not centered at
> the origin to begin with and the origin is at one of the corners of the
> box.(though it definitely was and I confirmed it by repeating these
> steps multiple times.)
>
> The box size in my solvated.gro is still 10 x 10 x 10, while the system
> size is now ~15 x 15 x 15.
>
> I am obviously doing something wrong here. Is there some option that I
> am leaving out? Can some body help me out here?

This is a virtual error. If you would apply the periodicity here, both
parts of the system (the bilayer + water box and the 'new' water box)
will overlap nicely. genbox will not touch your 'solute' (-cp) coordinates,
(so the bilayer stays where it was, on the origin), but it builds from
your periodic water box (-cs) a new water 'block', which will be centered
inside the box.

I don't actually see why you would want to center your system on the
origin before using genbox. The convention in Gromacs is to have the
system centered in the box *and* also to have all molecules whole.
So, your two 'editconf -center -pbc' steps seem obsolete to me.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "Everybody Wants to Be Naked and Famous" (Tricky)         |