[gmx-users] postdocking MD?

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Tue Jul 9 09:36:44 CEST 2002

"Peter C. Lai" wrote:

> Sorry for being a newbie, but I am trying to use gromacs
> to look at ligand-receptor interaction. I generated
> coordinates for the ligand via a docking program and I merged
> them with the receptor pdb. The ligand is listed as UNK in the pdb,
> and pdb2gmx doesn't like it (unknown residue UNK).
> Should I alter to pdb to list the ligand as a heteroatom record?
> What is the best way to go about this? The documentation covers
> MD of a single protein in a solvent; I'm trying to get a trajectory
> of a ligand in its binding pocket...

Your problem probably lies in another direction: you will need a
forcefield/topology description of your ligand. Chances are that it
is not (yet) available in the topology database(s) for any of the
forcefields available in Gromacs. The PRODRG web-server can build a
good starting point for your topology, the forcefield you will have
to make yourself. There is an entry in the FAQ that covers the next
step of generating a protein/ligand topology.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "We Have No Money" (E. Clementi)                          |