[gmx-users] NVE simulations

Sidney Elmer sidnasty at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 12 21:58:25 CEST 2002

I've never used SPC water, so I may be wrong here, but I can take what I learned from CCL4
and hopefully it will apply to spc water as well.  I would guess that you are really running
with constraints, even when you think you aren't.  In the spc.itp file, the section "settles"
imposes constraints on the water molecules, even if you set the keyword "constraints"
argument to "none" in the .mdp file.  The same thing happened to me with CCL4, where
I defined constraints in the topology file.  You should try using flexspc.itp instead, which
defines bond and angle parameters, and has no constraints built into the topology.  My guess
is that the total energy will remain constant in this case, as long as you set the
"constraints = none" keyword in your .mdp file.  If that doesn't work then I am just as
befuddled about NVE simulations as you.  Good luck.

Sid