[gmx-users] (no subject)

Nguyen Hoang Phuong phuong at theochem.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Jul 18 14:47:48 CEST 2002

> Nguyen Hoang Phuong wrote:
>
> > As I understood, the array elements x[i][j] computed by the nmrun and
> > stored in the hessian.mtx are not really the matrix element of the
> > Hessian, but they should be -x[i][j]. If this is the case, then my results
> > are as same as those computed by g_nmeig. I'm wondering about this and
> > can anyone correct me? Thanks in advance.
> >

> I guess that's exactly why g_nmeig reads -x instead of x. I don't remember
> the deeper meaning for this (if any) so I'd assume your code is OK.
>
> Bert

Dear Bert,

The Hessian : H_{ij}=\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x_i \partial x_j}

The force: F= - \frac{\partial V}{\partial x_i}

In GROMACS, the H_{ij} is computed numerically from force, i.e,

 H_{ij}= - \frac{\partial F}{\partial x_i}

I guess the program nmrun calculates the quantities \frac{\partial
F}{\partial x_i} and therefore the g_nmeig must add - to the  H_{ij}.

Regards,

Phuong