[gmx-users] Forces

Nguyen Hoang Phuong phuong at theochem.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Jul 26 09:48:57 CEST 2002

> > Dear All,
> >
> > In the mdp options file, the nstfout is switched on and the total force
> > acting on each atom is written out in the trajectory file. I would like to
> > separate this total force into the internal forces (between the atoms of
> > the solute) and the external forces (between the atoms of the solute and
> > the atoms of solvent). Is there any option in GROMACS or will I have to
> > change something in the force subroutine? Thanks.
>
> No, there is no option (or default analysis tool) for it in Gromacs.
> However, if I'm not mistaken you can use g_traj to extract the
> force values from your trajectory and write it in ascii format,
> so you could write a simple program or script yourself. Alternatively,
> you can write a c-program using the template file that is provided
> somewhere in the gromacs source tree.

Dear Anton,

you are right. However, the force values in the  trajectory file is the
total force acting on each atom. I would like to know the internal forces:
bond stretch, torsion angles, bond angles, LJ force, Coulomb force between
atoms of the solute and the external force: between atoms of the solute
and the  solvent. These forces should be computed in GROMACS for every
time step. However I do not know how to output these at every
step. I have spent a lot of time to look at the source codes but I haven't
found yet where to do.

Thank you very much for any help in advance.

Regards,

Phuong