[gmx-users] AFM pulling options

Ernesto Raul Caffarena ernesto at procc.fiocruz.br
Wed Jul 31 23:30:44 CEST 2002

Hi,
we're having some problems with the AFM pulling option: we're trying to
calculate AFM interacting forces between two reference groups and we found
out that the output file .pdo looks all like this:
0:0: f:   0.000 s:   2.022
1:0: f:   0.000 s:   2.022
2:0: f:   0.000 s:   2.022
3:0: f:   0.000 s:   2.022
4:0: f:   0.000 s:   2.022
5:0: f:  -0.000 s:   2.022
6:0: f:  -0.000 s:   2.022
7:0: f:  -0.000 s:   2.022, etc
independently of the pulling rate parameters (even when trying higher pulling
velocities).
Here there is a description of the input file pull.ppa which we believe it's
O.K.:
; PULL CODE PARAMETERS =
; Temperature, friction coefficient (amu/ps) and random seed =
verbose = yes
runtype = afm
group_1 = 1cag_AN
reference_group = 1cag_BC
reftype = com
reflag = 1
direction = 1.0 0.0 0.0
reverse = from_reference
update = 1
pullrate = 0.00002
forceconstant = 500.

Questions: 1) Are we doing the right thing?
2) Is the output file .pdo reliable, and if it is not, how do we get the
force information we want? We allready tried to get this info using the
g_traj program with the options:
g_traj -s pull.tpr -f pull.trr -com -of -n pull.ndx
but we suppose that it's calculating something different, since we are not
asked for the reference group; only the group_1 is required. Is this option
calculating the total interaction force acting on the center of mass of this
last group due to the rest of the system?
Thanks in advance,
Ernesto

--
ERNESTO R. CAFFARENA