[gmx-users] 6 degrees of freedom

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Mon Jun 3 16:45:48 CEST 2002

jozef hritz wrote:

>         Hi Everybody,
> I need to run long simulation of protein and I inertial motion is not
> important. How is it possible to let only 6 degrees of freedom for protein
> (3 for translation and 3 for rotation)?

By default, nstcom in your .mdp file is set to 1, this will remove
COM (center of mass) motion every step. By setting it to -1, the
coordinates of your system are fitted onto the previous coordinates
every step, which effectively removes overall rotation. It is possible
that the fitting procedure when performed every step, introduces
artefacts.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "I Don't Want to Calm Down" (Throwing Muses)              |